What is scrum? Scrum is an iterative software development framework.
How to use JIRA for scrum management?
1. Create a Scrum Project in JIRA. When you're prompted to select a project type, ensure you select Scrum software development.
This will create a scrum board automatically. Once you create a project, you will see the empty backlog of your Scrum board. Create backlog items such as stories, task, features etc.
2. Create user stories in backlog. Stories are the smallest units of work. As a [type of user], I want [goal] so that I [receive benefit].
After creating your stories, start prioritizing them in the backlog. Prioritization can be performed by dragging and dropping in order of importance for your release.
3. Estimate stories. It is important to estimate stories before starting a sprint. I suggest to estimate stories in hours/days format (i.e 4hrs, 3 days). Don't worry for the first estimation of sprint, you may be wrong while estimating, but you would come to figure out your output/bandwidth after a few sprints.
Note : Go to backlog and enter a number in the Estimate field for issues.
4. Create a sprint. There would be a button named Create Sprint on backlog page, using it create your first sprint.
I recommend to plan a sprint for 2 weeks, it would give your team better idea about what is happening with requirements. Your client/business owner can track accomplishment with finishing each sprint.
5. Hold the sprint planning meeting. Before starting a sprint, you should hold a meeting with all team members and get commitment from them on what they can complete in 2 weeks with QA too.
You should create a confluence page for sprint information or a document for it and should share with all team members.
Sprint planning document should have Date, Participants, Project Owner, Purpose/Goal, Epics with Stories(with description) and priorities. It should look like a proper business document, use table to view Epics/Stories, description and priorities.
6. Prepare your Sprint. In backlog you create stories, features and prioritize them. In Sprint planning meeting you can decide what issues your team want to work on. Think about given estimation & dependencies to other stories/issues and add stories to your first sprint.
7. Start the sprint. Provide a name to your sprint. Add duration of the sprint, start date and end date. (I suggest to make a sprint for 2 weeks.) Once you start a sprint. you will be able to view Active sprint tabs in project. Active sprint would show you table with columns such as To Do, In Progress etc. This is where your team will work to pick up items from the to-do column and move them into in-progress and eventually, done !
8. Hold daily standup meeting. In agile communication with team mates is very necessary to see if anyone is blocked towards the completion of sprint. Developers, QAs, BAs, Technical Architect all need to attend daily scrum for 15 to 30 mins and discuss
- What did I complete yesterday?
- What will I work on today?
- Am I blocked by anything?
9. Complete Sprint. On your sprint board, there would a button - Complete Sprint. At the end of each sprint, you must complete it. It would show report of sprint - work completed, work not completed and any work added after sprint started. You may ask question to team mate and know what is team velocity.
10. Sprint Retrospective meeting. This helps your team to provide feedback and make product and development culture better. It gives summary about what went well and what did not. Create a page in confluence, invite all team members for 60 mins retrospective meeting. Refer this page image...